
CHICKEN FINGERS WITH LEMON SAUCE
10 oz. jar lemon curd
1/4 c. chicken broth
1/2 t. soy sauce
1/4 t. ground ginger
1 c. buttermilk (I used 1 t. vinegar, and the rest milk)
2/3 c. flour
1/3 c. cornstarch
1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken tenders
oil for frying
In a small saucepan, combine the lemon curd, broth, soy sauce and ginger. Set aside.
In a shallow bowl, add buttermilk. In another bowl (or ziplock bag!), combine flour and cornstarch. Dip chicken in buttermilk, then coat with flour mixture.
Heat oil in an electric skillet to 375. (I used my stove on med-high, with oil about 3/4" deep.) Fry chicken, taking care to not crowd the pan, for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Meanwhile, gently heat lemon sauce in microwave, and serve chicken with sauce. Makes 4 servings, with 1-1/4 c. sauce.
* * *
Lemon Curd is a soft custard that can be used for filling, similar to lemon meringue pie filling in texture and flavor. Supposedly, it can be found in grocery stores in the jelly or baking supplies--but not anywhere near Stickville! So I made it myself. It was easy and surely loads cheaper than buying it in a jar.
Lemon Curd
2 eggs
2/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. lemon juice
2-1/2 T. butter
2 t. grated lemon peel (using the stuff in the jar/spice section makes for a terribly bitter sauce; it's much better to go without. Trust me on this.)
In a heavy saucepan, beat eggs and sugar until sugar dissolves. Stir in lemon juice, butter and lemon peel. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Makes about 10 oz.
4 comments:
Au contraire! Lemon curd does reside here! Check out the top shelf of jams at WM. There is only one Dickinson's, and it's lemon curd. (Look like this.) YumYum. I love it. But I'd never thought of using it any way but jam-wise. I love lemon sauce with chicken (we had that last night!). Your homemade beats the dickens out of the $2.25+ at WM!
I enjoy your recipes; they give me such good ideas!
Janie
We LOVE lemon things here. Thanks for the recipe. I'll definitely be giving it a try soon!
Janie, thanks! I will look for it next time, out of curiosity! I'd checked in the pie filling section instead, at both Kroger and Walmart.
Any ideas on where to find canned, whole green chiles? I keep telling my dh to ask some of the Mexican workers we see shopping at WM, since he knows a little Spanish. So far, we've been getting them through the mail instead.
You made lemon curd? What's come over you? Turning all Frenchified on us?
Post a Comment