Monday, June 23, 2008

Trevor goes to war--er, I mean, camp!

Trevor and two of his friends attended D-Day Camp at the National Memorial last week. It was three half-days, and even though it was a 75 minute drive each way and we had to leave at 7:30 in the morning, we had decided to give it a try. (Let me say that 7:30 is very early for us, while he and I are usually awake by then, we are never out of the house that early.) But we all have to sacrifice in war . . .


My soldier

After learning for three days about the War, both homefront and field, the parents were treated to a special canteen to end the camp. Some of the group put on a USO-style show, with songs from the 1940s (Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition; Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy; Chicken Blues), comedy routines (Who's on First?), and other entertainment. We then toured the camp.

Oh-so-nicely air-conditioned barracks

The kids donated food items, and care packages were boxed up for soldiers currently serving in the Middle East.

We admired propaganda posters.

I was able to spot Trev's without looking for names

Each private was assigned a post. As visitors toured through, the kids shared information about their area. Trevor was assigned to an equipment and supplies table.

K Rations

Gas masks

Canteens

We were also treated to a light, 1940s Red Cross-style lunch.

Spam, pretzel sticks, turkey sandwiches, watermelon, donuts

It was an honor to have D-Day veteran Jim Bryant drop in. Mr. Bryant was a glider infantryman, 82nd Airborne Division, and he volunteers at the Memorial.

I had a great photo of them shaking hands--
except someone walked right in front of my camera!

Trevor had a blast at camp. It was a blessing that he was able to go, and getting out at 7:30 a.m. each day was well worth the effort!

Memorabilia for home

12 comments:

Cynthia said...

What an AWESOME experience!

Linda said...

This looks so AWESOME, Kristine! No way can I show this to Landon.

Debbie said...

What a terrific experience for Trevor. I'm sure he will remember what he has learned for a lifetime.

Romany said...

What a good opportunity for him. My kids have done this sort of thing and I am glad. With 60 years since the end of the war, there are fewer and fewer people who will have first hand experiences to share.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

This seems to be a great camp. I'm always on the lookout for things like this - but don't run across them very often. LOL

That lunch looked like a winner...who can pass up spam and pretzels? ::snort:: Seriously, I remember being excited when cases of spam and powdered milk would arrive in Liberia. ::gag::

Anonymous said...

Wow! That looks like such a great experience.
Laura

Laura said...

Wow!!! This looks like a fantastic camp!!! I'll bet Trevor had an absolute blast AND learned a ton. Jackson would LOVE this!

berrypatch said...

How cool! I hear you about leaving at 7:30 am. We had to leave here at 6:30 am last week to make it on time for a field trip. However, we ended up being 20 minutes EARLY! I started lamanting my lost sleep at that point. LOL

Kathy in WA said...

What a neat camp! I've never heard of anything like that. How did you come up on it?

Donna said...

This looks like a great time! My boys love history camp.

Kristine said...

Kathy, we have the National D-Day Memorial close by (relatively), and they've held the camp for several years now. It's quite amazing!

Trevor talked me into buying spam today. (eyes rolling)

Jodi said...

Wow, that sounds like a great experience. I might even get out of the house at 7:30 for that!