Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Recipes - Blackberry Chicken; and Creamy Orange Jello

As part of my plan to drive my husband crazy, I've been feeding him chicken several times a week, and trying new recipes each time to boot. This is in direct violation of my marriage vows: I promised to never make chicken more than once a week, and I promised to try new recipes just once a month.

My plan is working. I can't believe he hasn't complained about the number of chicken dishes we've had, and he's commented several times about liking the new recipes.

I could've used a little more artistic talent here,
the jello and potatoes didn't "plate" prettily.


I was expecting the Blackberry Chicken to be a little sweeter. It was tart, savory with the vinegar. The kids scarfed it up (down?) too, they even had seconds.

BLACKBERRY CHICKEN

2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup fresh blackberries, divided (I used blackberry fruit spread)
1/2 c. chicken broth, divided
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. white wine vinegar (I used cider vinegar)
1 t. oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 t. paprika, divided
1/4 t. cumin
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4-1/2 t. minced fresh thyme (I used dried powdered thyme, and less of it)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 t. cornstarch

In a small bowl, mash 2 tablespoons berries. Add 1/4 c. broth, brown sugar, vinegar, oil, garlic, 1/4 t. paprika, and cumin.

Place chicken in a large baking dish; pour broth mixture over the top. Sprinkle with thyme, salt, pepper and remaining paprika.

Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm, reserving pan drippings. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and remaining broth until smooth. Gradually stir in pan drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes until thickened. Serve over chicken; sprinkle with remaining blackberries.


* * *

This was an easy jello salad to make, and it tasted like dessert.

CREAMY ORANGE JELLO

6 oz. pkg. orange jello
2 c. boiling water
2 c. vanilla ice cream, softened
3/4 c. orange juice
1 can mandarin oranges, drained

In a large bowl, dissolve jello in boiling water. Stir in ice cream and orange juice until blended. Chill until partially set. (Whatever that means. It never works for me, so I waited 10 minutes.)

Fold in oranges. Pour into a 6 cup mold coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate over night until firm, and unmold before serving.

2 comments:

Robin said...

The chicken sounds good, Kristine. I'll have to make that soon.

Cynthia said...

The chicken sounds YUMMY! For a minute I thought you were going to share "our" recipe for orange jello... but yours is different. We'll have to try it. Ours has vanilla pudding, mandarin oranges, orange jello, and tapioca in it! We love it!

Thanks for sharing all the recipes.