Sunday, June 22, 2008

D-Day Memorial

Coincidentally, I finished reading The Bedford Boys at the same week Trevor attended D-Day Camp at the National Memorial. (I'll post camp pics later.) The Memorial was quiet . . . somber . . . remarkable.

The Peaks of Otter, backdrop for the town of Bedford


Cartoonist Charles Schulz donated $1M to the Memorial, enabling groundbreaking


44.5 foot granite arch; "Overlord" was the code name for D-Day


General Eisenhower


Reflecting pool and beach area


"Scaling the Wall"


"Scaling the Wall"


"Le Monument aux Morts"


"Final Tribute"


* * *

Blow softly, bugles, for our honored dead,
and tell them, where they sleep. . . they have not died in vain.
Arthur Stringer, Taps at Twilight

4 comments:

Laura said...

Goodness - what a powerful memorial. And I can imagine that reading the Boys of Bedford before visiting made it even more powerful.

Linda said...

Landon would LOVE this, Kristine!

Cynthia said...

Thanks for sharing. I love it when I have "coincidental" learning opportunities like this.

berrypatch said...

Wow - that was powerful just seeing the photos. I can't imagine actually being there to see it IRL.