Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day recap

Trevor excitedly put together Valentine boxes for Robert and me with little gifts inside.



Is he too sweet? He even added in a few pieces of my favorite cereal (okay, it's my favorite food too), some Kisses and even $1. That'll buy me a nice box of Good n Plenty!

* * *

Not knowing when we'd get home, I spent last night making most of tonight's dinner. The reviews:

PW's pan fried steak: Waaaay overseasoned. I used half of her seasoning recipe on two steaks. It didn't stop me from eating it, but it was too salty. Holly couldn't eat it; Robert didn't like it. Trevor--well, he's like me, he likes everything.

PW's garlic mashed potatoes: Everyone liked these! I was surprised, I didn't know how the garlic would go over (a hit!). I mashed them over low heat, seeing if it would dry them a bit, and I was worried they were too dry--but that wasn't the case. I even have some leftover garlic that I can't wait to use on something!

Ginger's spinach Madeline: This is always a hit, as expected.

PW's chocolate pie: I used some sort of pasteurized egg product. I can handle ONE raw egg in a little bit of cookie dough, but four raw eggs in this seemed gross. At home, I realized my eggs were fat free. I beat them in according to the pie directions, and everything came out fine. Robert and Trevor thought the pie was too sweet; Holly and I have never thought that about any food. It was quite good, and she and I are happy to eat the rest to spare the guys all that sugar. :)

I can't even talk about the half box of Valentine candy I ate after dinner. Ugh.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Oh - that is so sweet. I am impressed with Trevor!

Good to hear the reviews on your dinner. I'll have to give those mashed potatoes a try. They do sound yummy. And I am glad to hear the pie worked out well. I keep seeing you mention Ginger's Spinach Madeline and know I am putting that on my list of things to make, as well. We are in a "food rut" so new ideas are very welcomed!!!

Debbie said...

Kristine, that is good to know about the steak. We do like Lowry's but I couldn't imagine using that much.

The kids and I did some activites, but I was not on the ball with dinner, so Brian brought home KFC, a family favorite.

Lisa in Jax said...

Very cool dinner! I read the whole three part dinner plan but chickened out.lol I may try the potatoes sometime. Sounds like a great day!

Michele said...

Kristine,
I'm glad you "reviewed" the PW pan fried steak. I was thinking it looked a bit overseasoned for us but we didn't try it yet. Arthur grilled t-bones for dinner. Yum!

Cynthia said...

That's so sweet of Trevor!

Jodi said...

Trevor's gift is totaly cute!