Saturday, January 19, 2008

Recap of the week

Trevor's snowman

We had a couple of things canceled this week, including the homeschool group game night that Trevor and I had planned to attend. Our museum field trip and riding time for Holly were rescheduled because of the weather. We spent some volunteer time one afternoon at the food bank.

"Choice" does not seem to go hand-in-hand with public education here, so when I see an opportunity, I look twice. There is a high school option for children that are very strong in math and science. The program has been around for many years (20?), and a friend and I attended an informational meeting this week. I wanted to see if it's something we'd consider for Trevor.

Yes, I know that's four years away, but there's nothing like planning ahead. It works for me. We put Holly on the charter school waiting list when she was one, and our foresight gained her kindergarten entrance. It also opened my eyes to the different curriculum and school choices that were available, surely a precursor to our ultimate decision to homeschool.

Anyhow, the math and science school has definitely possibilities, and now I can keep an eye on Trevor's math progression over the next few years to make sure he has the pre-requisites that would allow him to apply.

That was also the night that my GPS led me onto a dirt PATH adjacent to both the school and a busy intersection. That was rather embarrassing, but at least it was dark and other cars couldn't see the numbskull who was driving. Besides, I'm getting almost used to these little unexpected side trips . . .

Our school year is officially half over, yippee!

We're excited!

Holly was able to get in a great riding lesson, hitting a trail with her instructor and another girl, whom she really liked. She passed on the opportunity to ride this weekend, however, with the weather being so yukky (a little more snow and a lot more cold in the forecast).

Trevor played outside in the snow for several hours. I'm glad he enjoyed it so much, and I am wondering if this is the most snow we'll see this year. Part of me hopes so, but the kids like it so much.


Yesterday's sunset

We're just plugging along, and what is usually a dreary time of year has not been so dreary.

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

Sounds like you're making yourself right at home in your new community!

lazy susie said...

Some states have math & science high schools; some are boarding schools. All that I have heard of so far have great reputations. We considered one also, but we don't actually live in the state. We were told that we could just buy a bit of property there and, by paying taxes, we could enroll our son in the free science/math boarding school. It would be legal, but it didn't seem right; we dropped the idea.

momma24 said...

The look on Trevor's face is a familiar one around here! I know it well!

Emily said...

I love Trevor's snowman!

berrypatch said...

Love the photos & really like Trevor's snowman! :-)