Thursday, January 31, 2008

Know your meat guy



This is my food savings tip of the day, the week, the month. It may be my best tip all year. Back in November, I began chatting with Charles, the guy at the meat counter. I introduced Robert to him yesterday, and they began talking about bones for soup. Charles told Robert that they'd be trimming a bunch of T-bones today, and he'd save the bone trimmings for us if we came back.

Robert makes a lot of beef noodle soup, and he usually ends up buying a combination of neck bones and ribs. It's gotten to be a rather expensive for homemade.

When we went back to the store today, Charles was gone. But he'd kept the bones in back for us, and another meat guy rolled them out on a big tray, all packaged up. For $0.29 a pound. We ended up with 25 lbs. of meat and paid a grand total of $8. That's going to make four giant pots of soup.

I could only fit three of the packages into my freezer, so it's no surprise we'll be having soup tomorrow night. Well, Robert and the kids will. I don't like that stuff!

8 comments:

Emily said...

What a great deal and what a nice guy!

Laura said...

Wow! .29 cents a pound! That is impressive. And beef noodle soup sounds pretty yummy. :)

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Great deal!

Lisa in Jax said...

You know that ribs cooked in beef broth and then grilled is AWESOME, right?

Beef broth freezes well too.LOL

Kathleen said...

Okay...I want the recipe for the soup. I hope you took pictures!

Kristine said...

There honestly is not a recipe. He just dumps the bones into a giant (2 gal?) pot, adds 2 t. salt, fills the whole thing with water and simmers for 6 hours. He takes out the bones, strains the broth, puts any meat back in with the broth, and boils some kluski-type noodles in the broth (homemade type pasta, NOT the stuff sold as medium or wide egg noodles). Personally: it's not for me. But everyone else in my house likes it.

Cynthia said...

Another perk of living in a small town! Everyone knows everyone! Do you have a charge account at your grocery store? Our grocery store does that and if we ever move I will miss that feature.

Kristine said...

No, no account at the store. We've never been to the two little teeny markets nearby, but I'd like to go sometime. We've heard that the "dust is free," lol, on the boxes of food.

I'm a bit of a grocery snob, I admit it. Even the big Kroger in the nearest town is, well, just convenient. I prefer the one up in Roanoke...