Well. I just looked at some of the amazon reviews of this book. What one thinks might depend on what one expects to find. If you're waiting to read that Clapton was a really awesome man with wonderful moral character, a musical genius who devoted his life to his career, you'd be hugely disappointed. He's an extremely shallow and boring guy--but it must be difficult to spend your entire life in the spotlight and maintain any semblance of "normalcy."
I was interested in reading what he had to say about his life. I wasn't expecting it to be pretty, but it was definitely an interesting book. It was certainly better written than Pattie Boyd's Wonderful Tonight, and it was fascinating to read their very different perspectives of identical events. Clapton tells the story of his life from his early childhood, the beginnings of his musical career, his personal life, and many details of his various addictions. (And I'm surprised he could remember as much as he did.) He was emotionless throughout the book, vaguely apologetic, passing all blame for his behavior onto drugs. Most of his life seemed to ride on his reputation. The last several chapters of the book portray him as a recovering alcoholic, devoted to his wife and children. That portion must have been written under a time deadline, or without the help of a ghostwriter, because they were noticeably different from the rest of the book, very hurried, flying through one vague topic after another, "I did this, I flew here, I met this person, I have so much money, blah, blah, blah."
Again, an interesting read. Not a happy life.
1 comment:
You always amaze me with the variety you read. I don't think I'll check this one out (LOL).
Post a Comment