Wednesday, November 21, 2007

It's here, it's here, it's here, it's here!

We have a lot less living space on our main floor here than in our old house. One of my big concerns was where in the world would I store our daily school supplies and books. I used to store everything in a deep kitchen cabinet with two shelves, plus I had a bookshelf right inside the door downstairs to the basement--and that was just for the stuff we used every day. Everything explodes during school. I'll never forget Robert's disbelief when he first spotted it several years ago, books strewn across the floor, papers on the counter, the kitchen table stacked. I don't think he's ever fully recovered.

So I was grateful for the little bit of cabinet space that I was able to get. And we had a lot of trips up and down the basement stairs. This is looking pretty good, it must have been at the end of school.


One of our early priorities was to buy some type of storage. It had to blend in, yet hold a lot, and be easily accessible. That was the reasons for our visits to Hades Furnitureland. The first trip was bad. The second trip was a nightmare. It was only a mild shock when we discovered our piece might not arrive until January. (I might point out that's halfway through the school year.)

When we received a delivery call last week, three months after ordering, we were elated. Funny how that works. But now I'm used to my set up. My furniture is arranged, my books fit, and the stairs haven't killed me yet. And I couldn't remember what it looked like.

The delivery guys came last night. Believe me, it's no simple task to back up a big truck up my long, narrow driveway in the dark (or in the light).

WOW! We liked it even more than we had remembered. Our "minor adjustments" included lifting and moving the curio and china cabinets, moving the area rug, and drilling a new hole in the ceiling to re-center the light once we moved the table. Little things, at least for my dh.



There is a ton of shelf space inside just for me (yay!), and I've even been able to give the kids each a small shelf in the side doors. (I'm terrified of putting any scratches on it.)

The only thing is that now it's become more glaringly apparent that we need a few more things on the walls . . . n-e-x-t project!

(And a giant THANK YOU, Mom and Mike!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, very pretty! I like it!

Jen

Debbie said...

Very nice, Kristine. Isn't it nice when you find something that works just right?

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Looks great Kristine!