Thursday, November 08, 2007

Catch up #3


I am so glad that DeEtta mentioned Operation Christmas Child on her blog! Last year, I think the dates flew by and we missed the deadline to pack shoeboxes.

Trevor and I went shopping on Tuesday. We were pleasantly surprised by what our local dollar store had to offer, and we finished up our shopping at WalMart. We packed and prayed over the boxes, and we'll drop them off next week.


A program of the Christian charity Samaritan's Purse, Operation Christmas Child expects this year to deliver 8 million donated shoeboxes to needy children around the world. Samaritan's Purse is among Charity Navigator's highest rated charities.

It's so easy to get caught up in our own lives, and I am grateful that my kids have the opportunity to participate in this.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

Kristine, we are finishing up our boxes too. This has been an annual tradition in our family for many, many years. I think I enjoy it as much as the kids.

Emily said...

We did this a few years ago and really enjoyed putting the boxes together.

Cynthia said...

Our church always does these boxes, too.

Robin said...

We just put some of these together in our MOPS group. We had a speaker from the organization there and she told of a lady she'd met who actually received one of the boxes when she was a child. I can't remember what country she was from, but she lives in the U.S. now. She said she had walked to school that day in holey shoes wrapped in bags and when she got there, they were handing out the boxes. In hers, she received school supplies and a brand new pair of shoes! Amazing story. It was so neat to hear from someone who actually received one of these boxes.

We love putting them together every year.

Romany said...

Ooooh, we've been doing ours this week too. Our church collects them all up in a big wall, like bricks, at the front of the church in the middle of November. They look so good!