Saturday, November 24, 2007

Book Review - Lemon Meringue Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke

This is the fourth book in the Hannah Swensen Mystery series. As the past books, it's mildly entertaining, a quick and easy read. I like that Hannah has a bit more of a personality now. Looking back, it was a bit of a surprise that only one person was murdered in this story. And I like that these books are so tame that Holly can read them. I know people are murdered, but there's no gore, no detail, just happy Hannah baking cookies.

Some of the little details in this book really bugged me, but perhaps I'm being too picky. (Details really bug me.)
  • If Norman bought a house and signed papers the next day, it wouldn't have taken forever to sign the paperwork (because there'd be no loan, and that's what's so time consuming). There was no reason behind making this last so long, other than taking up page space.
  • They DO make blue jello, and this is a silly detail that was not pertinent to the book but was mentioned more than once.
  • Also mentioned more than once was the increased likelihood of summer colds caused by getting wet in a summer storm. Shouldn't be that much of a problem, unless it's raining virus . . .
  • And why was half a page devoted to Andrea's use of prepositions at the end of her sentences? This has not been brought up before, and it wasn't again in the book.

I can work with Hannah stumbling over dead body after dead body in her little town; it's integral to the story. But I obsess a little on the minute errata . . . can you tell?

I should have been a book editor.

* * *

If you like this series, I'd recommend this book.

4 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Is blue jello new? I wondered when I read this book about that too. The preposition thing shows up often in the series....

I'm thinking Arielle could read these - I can't keep her in books and she wants mystery but has read every single one in the home on the kids and youth shelves. LOL

Kristine said...

No, I'm quite sure blue jello has been around for some time. I remember seeing it in the 4th of July jello recipes, and the rainbow jello recipes.

I think Arielle could read them too. There's no gore, just OH, a body! Oops! A second choice would be the first couple of Goldy books, I think, although you may want to preread to be sure.

Cynthia said...

I'm the same way about those books, but I REALLY enjoyed them... they were fairly predictable and quite easy/fast to read.

We actually went looking for blue jello for Thanksgiving this year and couldn't find it in any stores. I know we used blue jello (and I think it was blueberry) last year.

Lisa in Jax said...

I love her Sugar Cookie recipe! It's the best tasting I've ever found. The books are predictable but the recipes are quite good.