We've moved in the midst of a drought. And a heat wave. Roanoke hit or broke 15 records for heat in August, both in daily highs and highest nighttime lows. We have yet to see a day with a high "only" in the 60s. When it's really hot, we have a sulphur smell to our well water, I think it has to do with the iron levels in the soil, I don't remember. More often than not, we still run the A/C at night. This week, we continue to set record highs in the upper 80s-90 temps.
In looking back at our Colorado pictures, we frequently had our first snows in October. The first freeze was last night. In Virginia, I'm still wearing shorts (at least at home, haha) and tank tops. I'm loving this. Robert doesn't do so well with the heat.
Holly and I continue to take our evening walks, although we sometimes eat dinner too late to get outside before it's dark. But most of the trees still haven't made a drastic change.

We often walk with our new friends--two neighborhood dogs. (I was hoping to get some good pics, but the dogs seem camera shy.) Maggie is medium sized, black and white. She became our friend first, coming down her driveway to meet us, eventually sticking with us for a bit. The other dog was a little scarier, weird looking, with a big fat neck and long legs. His bark sounds like an elephant seal. I think his name is Uba; Trevor calls him "Lumpy," a good fit. Lumpy's more reserved, but Lumpy and Maggie have both walked all the way down the street and back with us. We look forward to their company now.
These pictures are from the other night. It doesn't look anything like fall. And you can't beat the scenery.
We walk with the neighbor's dogs when we can. I'd worry too much about bringing my own dog, he's a bit hyper and doesn't listen well.

I enjoy walking with Holly, and I treasure this time with just the two of us. Trevor wants to get in on this too, and if I can get back to my regular wake-up schedule, he and I will start walking together in the mornings. We can take advantage of the weather.
And the heat goes on.






7 comments:
You're getting in some serious exercise there, Kristine! WOW.. a walk with Trevor in the a.m. and Holly in the p.m.! YOU GO GIRL! We had our first snow a few weeks ago.. nothing to speak of down here, but there's defininitely visible snow in the mountains already and you can feel the chill in the air even though it was 70.. I know YOU will understand what I mean (LOL)!
It's Hot HOt HOt here too. Your evening walks look wonderful! Love all the nature that surrounds your home!
Kristine, we have had very unseasonable weather for the northeast. We were in Maine the other day and the kids were in swimsuits and actually went in the ocean...in October...unheard of! It was a bit cooler today and it is raining tonight. We have yet to have our first frost...another very unusual weather event.
I love all your wonderful scenery pictures. It is so much like here, although our trees are definitely turning and falling.
It's been hot here as well. Last night we had RAIN move in and it cooled down a lot. The high this weekend is going to be in the high 50's! I am ready for the cooler weather.
My mom had MS and she never did well in the heat either. She ran the A/C a lot during the summer months.
Laura
Laura, at least I now know he's not doing it JUST to drive me crazy, LOL.
Those are beautiful pictures! I envy you the warm weather. Sigh. We're having rain and grey days here in WA. I'd LOVE to have some sunshine and warmth. I guess it's heading toward Christmas (that's always a plus).
Nice mother daughter time!! Good for you.
Lumpy looks like some extra walking will do him good! He' cute though is a funny sort of way.
Good job on all that walking. You're pictures are beautiful.
Post a Comment