We don't get a lot of traffic on our end of the street. Although our old house was at the end of a cul-de-sac, we had more "wrong" cars turning around there than we have "right" cars driving past now. So when I woke up at 2:45 a.m. the other night and heard a car, it was a little surprising.
While still in the throes of grogginess, I realized the car was turning around. Who in the world would make a wrong turn, then drive a mile down our street before turning around?
I looked out the window, through the trees, and could see the car stopped on the street right in front of my house. It paused for several seconds and began driving away. With just parking lights on--no headlights.
If you can't already tell, we live in the sticks. We live almost at the end of the sticks. There are definitely no street lights. The nearest street light is probably five miles away, maybe even further. It's all I can do to wind my way up our street with my lights on. In bright daylight.
Who in the world would be driving on my street in the middle of the night without headlights?
Poachers? Drug dealers?
(Please, it's the middle of the night, and I'm not thinking clearly here.)
I debated waking Robert up. But he doesn't usually sleep well, and I hated interrupting him. And what exactly would I say? Instead, I waited there for 45 minutes, my head hanging off the bed to get a better look out my window, my ears straining for any unusual sounds. (The crickets and other bug noises drown out almost anything.)
Totally exhausted, I finally fell back asleep.
The next morning, I told Robert what I'd seen, what I'd heard. He looked at me rather oddly for a moment and asked, "Do you think it could have been the newspaper guy?"
Uhhhh . . . do ya think?
I'm SUCH a dork.
(Is it any surprise that he looks at me rather oddly quite often?)
8 comments:
Hilarous!
LOL! That sounds just like something I would say! One time I woke dh up in the middle of the night because I was SURE the a/c was making a funny noise.. it wasn't (LOL)... but dh went outside and listened to it anyway... I was ready for you to say it was someone coming knocking for help or something... we've had more than our fair share of midnight visitors around here.
LOL...Kristine, you are too funny! I am enjoying your journey into country life.
And for what it is worth...there is nothing like driving down the road with your lights off on a moonlit night! Especially if there is snow on the ground...just breathtaking!
The glorious thing about the city - wouldn't notice or care. However if I was out there I would have been convinced it was a bunch of those HD people coming to get me...
HA HA!
I remember Marlon Brando in On The Waterfront...'I don't like the country. The crickets make me noyvous!'
(My attempt at an NY accent.)
I hope the country stops making you nervous soon!
Miss Anon, of course you know that *I* know who you are, and you are TOO funny!!!!!!!
Too funny! Did you, in fact, get your paper? :)
ROFL! Sorry - Kristine. You do know I'm laughing WITH you right? No one would be able to wake us up here in Boonie-ville unless they actually drove up our driveway. That hasn't happened yet. The joys of living on a dirt road with a 1/4 mile driveway. :-)
Post a Comment