Tuesday, September 25, 2007

How to Win Friends by Robert and Kristine

Of course one of the things we looked forward to when we moved was meeting our new neighbors. So, on the FIRST day we moved in:

Robert met Pat as he was driving down our street. He was going twice the speed limit. Because our street is only wide enough for one car, she pulled over so he could continue on his merry speedy way. Pat's husband Bill is our homeowners association president. (We have one just to maintain our private road.) Later that day, Bill very kindly mentioned to Robert that the speed limit is 15 mph and that some of the residents notice when you go too fast.

Moving day was a bit of a fiasco, and the local company sent only one guy to help our driver unload. Later in the afternoon, Robert saw a second man show up, and Robert asked him if he was ready to help move stuff. That's when Ken introduced himself as our neighbor.

It was also on moving day that we discovered our stove outlet did not work. The realtor made arrangements for the electrician to show up. Robert was down the street and saw the electrician coming in his truck. Robert flagged him down and explained the problem. The man replied, "I don't know anything about your service call. I'm your neighbor. But if you need help in the future, give me a call!"

And yet the neighbors are still talking to us, all three of these families included. :)

* * *

Today at co-op, another mom was telling me about the curriculum she's using. No reason for me to give details here, because different things definitely appeal to and work best for different people. (We all KNOW that, right?) But it was a stressful morning for me and I blurted out, "I would find that horrifying."

* * *

We read Proverbs chapter 10 this week, and one of the underlying themes is chattering fools and talking too much. I really need to be paying attention . . .

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up:)

Jen (in az)

Yvonne said...

"I would find that horrifying." ROTFLOL! That's okay Kristine, I'd probably find it horrifying too.

Cynthia said...

SIGH! Way to have a sense of humor, Kristine! I'd LOVE to have you as my neighbor!!

Lisa in Jax said...

LOL! Looks like you're getting to know everyone real well.

Debbie said...

LOL, Oh, Kristine, you guys are just too funny!

I'm afraid I fall into that "too much chattering" thing...Just in the last few days I've had a couple of situations when I wish I had held my tongue!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

At least you've discovered a way to break the ice. LOL That's 1/2 the battle in making friends.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Don't worry about it!

I got nervous when a new person sat next to me in church once and I just couldn't think of anything to say to her. Guess what idiotic thing came out of my mouth.

'You smell nice.'

Well, she did! She had a really nice perfume. But it wasn't till I saw her terrified reaction that I realised it probably wasn't the best ice-breaker in church. {sigh}

Hey, at least we're honest.{g}

Jodi said...

Sorry but that was very funny! Glad you have forgiving neighbors and ROFLOL about the other Homeschool curriculum comment.