Thursday, September 20, 2007

Field trip!

We joined our new hs group for a field trip to Dixie Caverns today.


It was a good thing that Robert didn't come. I drove the way he said we would NEVER drive again, lol. And I drove it twice. (I don't know if it was really a shortcut, but it's the fastest way, and since my kids don't get carsick, it works.) Thanks to my not-really-a-shortcut, we arrived a good 15 mins. before everyone else, and Holly and Trevor had a chance to poke around the gift shop.


These aren't the biggest caves in Virginia, but they were larger than I'd expected.



You can see how big this is compared to the people in the right side background.

We stayed afterwards and ate a picnic lunch with a few others.

I'd planned out the rest of the day. Trevor's been asking for bagels, and I think we finally found the only place in Roanoke that sells them fresh. We stocked up.

I'd also researched Kroger's, trying to find the biggest and best one in town. JACKPOT!!!! The guy at the deli thought I was a nut. (Boar's Head. Fancy deli salads.) I told him that I felt like I was at Disneyland. After I started taking pictures, he asked if I was a spy.


I'd told Holly and Trevor that it was SERIOUS mom shopping time.


Ah. Kalamata olives. Pesto. Laura's Beef (and marked down!). FRESH pita bread. Sesame oil. The clerk knew what tahini is! Civilization! It was a great day!

* * * *

I'm joking about "civilization." I LOVE living in Stickville, love, love, love, love it. We have not had ONE single regret. (Although the first few days, we wondered whatintheworldarewedoing.) But it's nice--it's fun--to find familiar foods, find our way around, feel like we can have the best of both worlds. This is a great life. :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! On our return to the UK from Canada, I found I missed certain things. Then I discovered Costco here and was able to get lots of them again. It is nice to be able to cook with things you are familiar with!

Anonymous said...

Boar's Head is very popular here in PA. It's a bit pricey so I don't buy it often.
That looks like a nice food store.
Laura

Cynthia said...

The caves look interesting. What a fun field trip! I hope you're able to make friends with some of the new people you met on the field trip.

WHOO HOO that you found a grocery store with some familiar foods! Sounds like you're all settled in now!

Jodi said...

Glad you found civilization! Nothing wrongs with living in the stiks but knowing the way to civilization. LOL

Those look like great caves. some friends of ours come from down that way and told us we have to go see the caves some day.

berrypatch said...

That looks like an awesome field trip!

I ROFL over the comment about being a "spy" for taking photos. LOL Nope - just a blog post.

:-)

Lisa

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Amazing photos of the caves.

Kristine said...

I can't imagine the food differences from Canada to the UK!

I didn't actually *buy* the Boar's Head, but it was a good sign to me that the deli was more upscale. :)

The biggest caves in the state are up in Luray (I guess), but now that we've seen these, I figure we're good for a really long time, lol.

And I was too embarrassed to tell him that I was either going to "blog" it or put the pics on the internet!

Anonymous said...

This looks nothing like my grocery stores, but it does look a little familiar ... it looks like a grocery store I ran into a couple of years ago in ... VIRGINIA. How funny.

But did you find out what tahini IS? I asked my lebanese cousin-in-law & he was confused. He said "it's TAHINI." But what IS IT?

Kristine said...

Tahini = sesame seed paste, used in hummus. While the clerk knew what it was, he wasn't sure *where* it was. I substituted sesame oil instead. :)

cat in black said...

How far are you from Moneta? It has the best deli I have ever seen in a Kroger. Their chicken salad with grapes is OOH_LA_LA!!! Everything Boars Head! And a seafood department that really knows their fish! Mama Mia!!!
Hope to get down your way as soon as Va Tech plays someplace else besides Blacksburg. We go to all the home football games. Would love to meet you sometime. How do I hook up with Franklin Co homeschoolers? We are there often enough that I would like to be on some kind of a mailing list.
You should read The Man Who Moved A Mountain by David Gutersen (I think that is his name). You would love it!!!!
Cathy
Cat