This female counterpart to the Every Man series was mentioned on my hs list, and incredibly I was able to find it at my new library. It's a terrific--and terrifically frank--book for young women with realistic strategies for protecting their minds, hearts and bodies from the never-ending garbage fed to them by today's media.
But the book is frank and sometimes a little graphic for me, as I imagine my daughter reading it. There are a couple of topics that I felt the book returned to a little too often for me to be comfortable. I appreciated that the author backed her writing up with a lot of scripture.
It's definitely a book that I could see using down the road as a tool, and I highly recommend it, as long as you pre-read it first. I'd like to read the other books in the series too.
2 comments:
Kristine - so glad you reviewed this book. I've been meaning to get it and the young man's book as well.
Hard to believe our little ones are growing up so quickly, eh?
Kristine - I also thought it was frank for say a Jr Higher - maybe for an older high schooler? I know that if they kids were in public school these would be issues they are already familiar with....and so I think that is why they ARE so frank in these books....
BUT what I wanted to say is that I loved the fact that this author brings out that a woman's imaginary thought life needs to brought under the Lordship of Christ. I've talked about this with so many women in counseling...and when we start living in a make believe world and then comparing our dh's to this - we've stepped into dangerous territroy...thoughts have consequences - they will eventually lead to action if we don't bring under the Lordship of Christ. It was valuable for me to read this book and see that this is a struggle many have and to be able to address it with our daughters. I don't think they've read the book - but I certainy gleaned much from this and the Every Man book that I was able to chew and give out in bite size portions to the children. LOL
Post a Comment