Tuesday, August 28, 2007

We survived. Barely.

Despite our dreadful trip to North Carolina twelve days prior, and my promise to never go back, Robert was bound and determined to return yesterday. It's surely part of his plan to drive me insane. It was a lovely drive.



There's a lot of tobacco growing along the highway.

Once we hit the Greensboro city limits, we descended further into the lower world. (Translation: We drove on 16 more highways within the city.) Destination: Furnitureland South, one million square feet of shopping space. The kids were convinced the salespeople were robots. I'm quite sure if I went to hell, it would be here. I'd be given some pathetic excuse for a map and made to wander endlessly in search of a bathroom. Or an exit.


Three and a half hours later, quite dazed, we emerged. Robert has repeated several times he will never go back. He almost didn't make it out alive this time, believe me.

On a positive note, using my own brilliantly mapped out locations, we headed for lunch at Chili's.


With $3 margaritas, it was indeed a very happy hour.


Trevor, showing the last visible signs of his trip into the underworld.


We went to Circuit City, Vitamin Shoppe, Lowe's, and Home Depot.

"Aren't we done yet? And stop taking my picture!"

"I wanna go home!"


"Be patient, my darlings, or mommy will take you shopping for more furniture."

And it was GREAT to get home.

If we ever go back in that direction, I think we'll try Winston-Salem instead.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we go to Home Depot, there's too much running & hiding (in the display cabinets) followed by yelling & threatening, for us to do any posing & clicking.

And sometimes Greg & I even take the kids, which is REALLY bad.

Anonymous said...

I guess the furniture trips are really stressing if you are drinking margaritas for lunch.
Surprise

Lisa in Jax said...

That would definitely be my version of hell. That furniture store was the largest I've ever seen!

Glad you made it back.lol

Kathleen said...

You Go, Girl! I love the pictures of the fields!

Jen said...

Are you close to Winston-Salem? My SIL lives there!

Debbie said...

OH my, Kristine! I could not have survived a store that big. I do not enjoy shopping...except maybe AC Moore or Lowe's...I am so not a shopper!

I'm glad you found what you were looking for and all of you managed to survive the trip.

Kristine said...

The furniture store picture doesn't even show it all. There's a skyway to another 3? story building, and there's a giant clearance center on the other side of the parking lot. There may be more; that's all I know of.

We are about two hours from both Greensboro and Winston-Salem. It is pretty cool, because I've never been anywhere around this part of the country!

Cynthia said...

Can you believe that just yesterday I was wishing we had a few more furniture stores to chose from? I've been to EVERY SINGLE one in town that I know of and finally had to settle on a dresser for the boys room. Isn't this always the way it works???? I ended up back at the store to purchase the ones that I spotted the first time I looked a month or more ago.. I should have just purchased them then.