
Lee posted her Strawberry Soup recipe to SHS last summer, and I've finally gotten around to making it. Soooo simple to make, the ingredients are similar to a smoothie.
Lee's Strawberry Soup
20 oz. bag frozen strawberries
1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used skim vanilla)
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. vanilla
Puree all ingredients in a blender. Pour into a serving bowl, cover and chill for 2 or more hours. Garnish with fresh mint leaves. Serve chilled in small custard cups.
I didn't read this closely ahead of time, so I made it right before dinner. Next time, I'll try chilling it for two hours. I don't think it would taste any different, but it may thin out a little. I used twice as much milk, so mine was a little thinner anyway. Fresh mint leaves? LOL. I do have dried though and crumbled some on top. I'd say it made 8 servings, about 4-5 oz. each?
The kids LOVED this, both asking for seconds. Robert began drinking it until I commented that I'd already asked Trevor not to do that! It was a great summer recipe that I can imagine will become a staple. It would be easy to cut the sugar at least in half, and I plan to try different fruits too . . . peach or mango come to mind.
* * * * *
We've always eaten some variation of quesadillas. This current version is from my mom. I bake them in the oven, because I'd have to watch the stove too closely and my food would surely burn.
Quesadillas
2 tortillas per person
choice of cheeses, we like cheddar, monterey jack or mozzarella, and Mexican blend
choice of toppings such as sliced olives, jalapenos, chopped onion (red, yellow or green), roasted red peppers, cilantro, and any handy leftover grilled meat
Place tortilla on baking sheet. Neatly spread cheese, and then other toppings over cheese. Bake at 375 until cheese is bubbly. Top with second tortilla, turn off heat, and let sit in oven 5 minutes. Remove from oven, and slice into 6 pieces with pizza cutter.
Okay, one of these is quite a bit for one person, but it's a meal for us!
4 comments:
LOL! That's almost exactly my smoothie recipe! I just don't add any sugar.
We love quesadillas too. I love making them when I have leftover meat from the grill. YUM!
YUM! Thanks for sharing. My mom just bought us a quesadilla maker. I didn't think we "needed" one until our dd made some tonight! I LOVE how crunchy it makes them! It's definitely a keeper and I'm not much for kitchen gadgets. Now we'll have to try some of the quesadilla recipes!
I have been making quesadillas on my George Foreman Grill . . I am not sure if that is my favorite was to make them but it is convenient! The Strawberry Soup looks yummy and so refreshing!
It's sure good I got done with school in good enough time to read a couple of blogs....because you reminded me about that dinner thing again - and now I'm going to go make Burritos.
I often serve smothies with dinner and almost always at breakfast - your strawberry soup looks very similar....YUM
Post a Comment