Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Second week of "summer vacation"

Trevor's karate started today. He did great! They are all kids from co-op, though not all from his same karate class that he took earlier. I was happy to see a friend of mine there, and we ended up being the only two moms who stayed, and we blabbed the whole time.

We stopped at Target on the way home and found a gel ant farm. I'm not patient enough to spend $3 and wait 2-6 weeks for regular worker ants to be delivered. It's against federal regs to ship queens, so what's the point? We collected ants outside. It was easy; I'm quite sure our entire block is sitting on a giant anthill. But within a few hours, most seem to have died. We'll have to see what happens tomorrow; maybe we'll have to order ants anyway.

For the past few years, my goal during summer vacation has been to keep the kids on at least a regular waking up and eating breakfast on time schedule. This year, Trevor has karate at 9 a.m. two mornings a week. Holly will be riding every week at 9 a.m. My new goal is to be ready to go at 8:30 on these mornings (which I'll have to do to be on time).

It's not an unreasonable goal, it's just that I haven't had to do this for several years. I'm used to waking up early enough (6:15) but reading the paper, getting on the computer, blah, blah, blah. I get "ready" in steps, and I'm rarely pulled together by 8:30. I can look at the positive side, I can get myself back on a reasonable schedule--and really enjoy ALL of the summer days. I guess it won't be so bad after all . . .

:)

2 comments:

Romany said...

How do you get Holly to riding and Trevor to Karate both at 9.00?

Dorothy

Kristine said...

Different days of the week. :)