Sunday, May 06, 2007

Book Review - My Several Worlds by Pearl S. Buck

This must be a pretty obscure book, since there's neither a photo nor comments about it on amazon. I have enjoyed several of Ms. Buck's books, even reading her children's book The Big Wave to my kids last year. She grew up in China, the child of missionaries, in the early 1900s, eventually leaving China for political reasons and living in Pennsylvania. Although American by birth, she has the unique perspective of growing up in China, not a view that most writers have.

My Several Worlds is a good book, an interesting read going into great detail of the author's life. She can write about anything, take you down a dozen rabbit holes, and bring you back to the topic again and again. It's never boring.

Unfortunately for me, this is a big book, lots of print on each page, 400 pages. It's not a book that I can easily skim. I don't have the time I would like to read through this book, enjoying it slowly, taking in each story. Three-quarters of the way through, I've put this book aside to concentrate on other things. It's a book I hope to come back to in a few years when I can give it the attention it deserves. Recommended? Yes--just not for me, at this time.

It also briefly mentions other books she's written, and I plan to request those from my library. I only hope that they'll be shorter reads!

1 comment:

my5wolfcubs said...

I read The Big Wave to myself and then to my children when we were studying Japan -- loved it! It's a keeper! :)
Lee