Friday, April 06, 2007

The Thorn

New Life Church has put on a mega-production of the Passion for many years. It's a big deal around here. I've always wanted to go, and this year I bought tickets. Actually, it was quite the deal, $10 a piece. And this isn't your average church play.

For starters, more than half a dozen Roman soldiers patrolled outside. On horseback.

Inside, there Jewish citizens roamed, and shepherds and sheep were abundant. (You know I'm thinking I'd get better photos if people would stop petting the animals!)



More Romans stalked the halls, shouting at everyone, "GET OUT OF THE WAY!" "COMING THROUGH!!" "MOVE IT!" That would have been a really fun part to play.

The sanctuary is huge, seating 6,000 during the show. There are eight performances this year. Looking up at the catwalks, you can see some of the show prep. Cirque du Soleil riggers have staged the flying sequences for the past few years. Really.


It was pretty dark inside, making it hard to get good pictures. The show began with a gladiator battle--with caged tigers on the stage.

There were lasers, acrobats and so much more.

Lots of fog and pyrotechnics too.


Did I mention that there's a cast of 500? 1000 more work behind the scenes. (How amazing is that?)

All dedicated to bringing the message of Love and Hope.


It was awesome. There was a great review in our newspaper last week that also went into the body painting makeup used on the devil. We attend a weekly function at this church, and a few weeks ago, I was shocked at first to see a shirtless man walking through the hall, seemingly covered in tattoos. I quickly realized that he must be in the play, and sure enough, he ended up in the newspaper. LOL.


The Thorn.

The Resurrection.

A New Life.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

VERY COOL! Sounds like an awesome ministry to put on such a production.

Debbie said...

Wow, Kristine, this looks awesome! What a great show to see.