
My washer was delivered a couple of weeks ago. Can I be in love with an appliance?
I liked my old washer just fine. It was at least 20 years old. We bought them used 15 years ago, and the washer never let me down. It never occurred to me that washers could change much over 20 years. After all, *I* haven't changed that much.
From the outside, my new washer is pretty unassuming, almost boring. There's nothing flashy about it, I didn't even want the touch sensors. That's just one more part to break down, and I haven't had such great luck with appliances. It's certainly not one of those fire engine red front loaders that do everything but cook dinner. (Actually, I'm sure they do cook, if you put the food in just right.)

Oh, but to open my washer up! As I lift the lid, I get lost in the depths of the tub, seduced by the dazzling whiteness . . . It's so lovely that I almost hate to put dirty clothes in it. But when I do, the fun begins.
My new washer even has a setting for a "super" load size. I can choose cold, warm, or hot water, or I can choose "cool," so the washer will automatically warm the water up just enough to make the detergent work a little better. It's definitely the strong and silent type. We don't hear the motor, just the swish, swish of the clothes gently swirling in the tub. Our walls no longer vibrate during the spin cycle, and it spins so well that my dryer time has been cut in half.
Could a washer be more perfect? [blissful sigh]

Robert likes it too. I don't know why, but yesterday he did several loads of laundry. I'm not even sure that there was much to wash. I heard the first load, heard the second, and by the third, I began shrieking, "WHY ARE YOU TOUCHING MY WASHING MACHINE????"
I mean, I breathed ever so softly, "My Darling, what are you doing? May I be of any assistance?"
Honestly. Is it wrong to love an appliance almost as much as I love my husband?
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height . . .
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height . . .
8 comments:
Great post. Cracked me up.
Ummm, do you think you and I need to get out a little more, Kristine? LOL!
Dorothy
PS Where's the rest of that sonnet?
LOL! You're SO funny! I suppose one of these days I'm going to need to get a new one as well.
Aaaah...I see you got our snow storm yesterday. Glad to be of help to your blog.
I can relate to your "appliance admiration". When I first got our new washer/dryer, I felt quite the same, but now it is kind of old hat and no one else offers to help with laundry (well, almost no one, Sammy does throw a load in once in a while because she has forgotten to get her clothes in the laundry earlier in the week and I have already done that load).
Oh, Kristine...how funny. Doesn't take much to keep we SAHM happy does it!?
I don't know if it's wrong but it sure is funny!
And you didn't even go for one of those front load washers where people say their children sit down and admire the laundry spinning. Ha!
ROFL!!!! Love it! I'm waiting for the day when I can have a new washer & dryer. :-)
Post a Comment