Thursday, April 19, 2007

Book Review - Facing Your Giants

Ah, does anyone not enjoy reading Max Lucado? Robert snagged this book after seeing the title. He's never read this author before, and he couldn't put the book down.

"When David focused on God, giants tumbled. But when David focused on giants . . . he stumbled."

This is a great study of the life of David. Coincidentally (ha!), at the same time, I am reading Samuel in my chronological Bible. Mr. Lucado is a gifted author with a wonderful way of vividly pulling together Biblical events into a very easy to read style, applying them to life today. Every single chapter in this book is relevant, often challenging. The back of the book has study questions for each chapter--I wish I'd thought to look ahead of time and keep up with them as I'd read.

This was an excellent book, highly recommended. I need to read/reread more of his books--and I'm thinking Robert will read some of them too. For more info on Max Lucado, check out his website HERE.

4 comments:

Romany said...

I enjoy his books too, Kristine. I just finished reading Finding Your Sweet Spot. (I think that was the title, too lazy to go and check.VBG)

I even have it autographed, as he came to speak at our Oxford church a few months ago. He came across as a humble, gentle man of God.

My favourite book of his was In the Grip of Grace, a look at the book of Romans, which I read just after becoming a christian. It was very helpful to me.
Dorothy

Cynthia said...

I always enjoy your book reviews, Krstine... and sure wish I could find more time to read, myself.

Amico Dio said...

I completely agree with you about this book. It is encouraging, practical, and it gives lots of insight. Max Lucado has a way of making you think beyond the words to something bigger, something more like how GOd sees it! I love all books by Mr. Lucado but this one is now a favorite!

Emily said...

Like Cindy, I too enjoy your book reviews. I have such good intentions to get some reading in everyday but most of the time it doesn't happen. By the time the evening comes, I am too tired and end up falling asleep with the book. . .