We did school in the morning, ate lunch, and took off. Robert stayed home to wait for the furnace guy. We have three great zoos all within an hour's drive. They are very different from each other, and I chose the cheap one.

Pueblo is generally thought of as the armpit of Colorado, but I don't think that anymore. Every time I've been there, I've been pleasantly surprised by the friendly feeling in general and the nice people. And they have a fabulous little zoo. Built during the Depression, the zoo still retains some of the original architecture. (Check out the building in the background too. Once the aviary, it now houses reptiles.)

It has animals I don't typically think of as "zoo" animals, yet we don't get to see them close up anywhere else either. (And dead on my Thanksgiving table doesn't count.)

This guy was over 6 feet tall. He seemed very friendly, and as Trevor ran up and down the fence, the ostrich would follow him, flapping his wings gently and making soft noises. Really, it didn't seem aggressive at all, and we got such a kick out of him.

Trevor rode the wild dolphin.

Holly and I brought two cameras and took 200 pictures total.

There were three lion cubs, 4 and 5 months old. There was a man camped out with his super duper giant fancy camera with the telephoto lens, and I felt like a dork with my little auto-shoot digital. But I'm happy with the pictures it takes!
It was a perfect two hour visit. We left just in time to beat rush hour traffic, and on the way home, Holly commented that Pikes Peak sure is ugly from this side.
I definitely prefer my view.
6 comments:
I prefer your view too!
When I was a kid we used to go to a small local zoo quite often because it was cheap. We enjoyed it. But the small zoos have all closed here now. Only the big ones, doing lots of conservation work are still open now.
I understand the reasoning (to do with providing good conditions for the animals) but it means we don't get to go very often. Jack has been begging us for a couple of years though so we MUST go to one!
Dorothy
Glad to know Pueblo is the armpit -- my brother Elvis is moving there in a couple of weeks. I am sure he will liven the place up.
Liz--Elvis is moving to Pueblo because he liked Steamboat?
I'm bewildered here . . . but that's not unusual . . .
(Seriously, it's a nice "little" town with much new growth, a good sign.)
Your side is definitely better. Love all the pictures. You and Holly got some good ones at the zoo. Trevor on the dolphin looks cute.
I also like your view better. WE went to one of your zoos when we were there and it was REALLY nice... it's the one on the side of a mountain. How does it compare to the Denver Zoo? Some of our moms want to go to it when we are there in May.
You went to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, which is very nice. I get tired there quickly, since it's so very hilly, and it wasn't until the past year or so that we actually visited the whole zoo during one visit--the kids could finally make the walk.
Denver Zoo is very nice, not nearly as scenic as CMZoo, but I think there's a wider variety of animals, and the enclosures are much nicer and many are updated. You could literally spend your entire time in the "new" gorilla/monkey/ape area. I think Denver's zoo is nicer than CMZoo, but CM has things that you can't find elsewhere (the view, feeding the giraffes, etc.). They are both very different, and I think you should go if you can (and go to Casa Bonita too, lol!).
:)
Post a Comment