Monday, February 26, 2007

Stunning Sunday

It was a little hazy this morning and the sun reflected that on the mountains. As ALL my Pikes Peak pics from my house, this is completely unretouched, unchanged from how it came out of my camera. Isn't it amazing? It's an unusual sunrise for us. Most typically, the wind blows all the yuck out of the air and it's crystal clear.


We took the trampoline down today. (That's the collective we, although Trevor helped.) We've had it up for several years, and there's now a tear in the canvas. Robert wants to get the grass growing in that spot again. But the tramp's such a great thing, we plan to replace it later this summer. The kids have definitely made good use of it and can continue to enjoy jumping for many years to come. When the weather's nicer, we will sometimes eat breakfast on it and do school work, a great place to relax in the sun, as long as no one bounces around too much!


I remember my parents taking us to see the Santa Clara Aquamaids synchronized swim team when we were little. I don't know how many times we actually went--two? four? more? But it stuck in my mind. When I saw that there was a synchronized swimming competition locally, I decided to take Holly and Trevor.

It was an all day event, very relaxed, and free! After driving around six times to find a parking place, we were set. (Note to self: Have dh teach kids how to parallel park.) On our journey between car and pool, we made our way across a big park. I was slightly surprised to see an obviously homeless man stumble out from his sleeping place, ready to start his day with his back pack on. I don't know that Holly noticed what was going on--she didn't say anything. It was such a contrast that's typical of downtown for me, the homeless man who had his own "place" immediately next to one of the very top-rated private colleges in the country.

We watched the swimming for about an hour and a half. It was fun to watch, and these girls are true athletes in every sense of the word.




Pretty neat, and definitely a different way to spend the afternoon!


(I'm a day late posting this--what I get for waking up at 5 a.m., falling asleep at night earlier to make up for it!)

5 comments:

Linda said...

Cool! I'd love to see synchronized swimming live and in person!

Debbie said...

Wow, how "wikkid". What a wonderful way to spend a few hours.

We are getting a tramp this summer. My dh is not thrilled, but I think I've convinced him the children will probably not break every bone in their bodies and it would help expend some of their energy.

Jodi said...

The syncronized swimming looks like a fun outing.

We would like to get a trampoline too. I don't think they could be too dangerous as long as the kids follow safety rules.

Emily said...

Oh!!!!!!I have always wanted to see that in person! What fun!

Cynthia said...

FUN! I read this post before we left, I think, but didn't have time to comment. You know that both of my dds used to swim on the synchronized swim team here. They weren't able to have a team this year for lack of pool time, coaches, and interested swimmers... sigh..... I should blog about that bygone time. What I REALLY need to do is start going through some of my old pictures and then I could blog about things other than what's happening TODAY!