Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Name Game

As the pregnancy picture posts continue on some of my loopy friends' blogs, another thread brought up names. Poor Liz shared the trauma of being called "Lizard of Oz" and the subsequent satisfaction of taking matters into her own hands. (You go, Liz!)

Everyone has a name story, don't they? Even Robert. It's a simple name, common. You think it'd be easy. But you can't imagine how many people are introduced to him and then immediately call him "Bob." Robert is not a Bob. He never has been, never will be, and anyone who knows him knows that. His family's never called him Bob, not Bobby, not even Robby. It's Robert. The closest it gets is when his sister or I will call just the first syllable of his name, "Rob-" But even then, his name's not Rob.

Christine. That's what my parents named me, and in a desperate need for any change at all, I changed the spelling in high school. It's on my social security card as Kristine, so it will stay that way. But I digress.

Christine. I don't think my parents ever called me Christine. Chris, Chrissy, Tippy, Tipper. Crispy Critter. Chris. It was a perfectly fine name. But when I started kindergarten, I found, to my horror, that it was a boy's name. It wasn't just a boy's name, it was a weird boy's name. Poor little Chris Rodriguez, he was odd through no fault of his own. I think his father had died. He had a terribly over-protective mother who walked him to school every day. This was back in the 60s, and no one's mom walked them to school. (Instead we hid behind trees, terrified, when strange cars drove past.) His mom wore a thick, long, black, wool winter coat and scarvey things around her neck. It was sunny California, remember, in the 1960s. My mom wore sleeveless mini dresses, pretty much the norm for moms back then.

(Don't worry, Mom, I won't tell about the mini dress with the naked ladies outlined all over it. At least not this time. And I don't think that was the norm.)
Even at the age of 5, I did not want to share my name with a boy. So I didn't. After that, for at least eight years, I made every teacher call me "Christine." My friends continued to call me Chris, eventually Kris. Now it's Kristine. New friends often will call me Kristin or Kristina. I don't care, but if they call me Kris, I remind them it's Kristine.

The possibility of having a boy name even affected how I named my kids. I loved the girls' names Jordan, Taylor, Kendall. At some point it dawned on me that I would have hated any of those, because they could be boy names. I bet you don't know many boys named Holly.

We had our son's name picked for many months before he was born--Cameron John. Cameron. Cam. A boy's name. But that was the year Cameron Diaz became famous. Camryn Manheim was on The Practice. Two days before my Cameron was born, I realized -- he was going to have a girl's name.

The only thing worse than being a girl with a boy's name would be a boy with a girl's name.

Robert came up with Trevor. It sounded like a boy name to me. Trevor. Not hoity-toity British Trevor. Trucks, tractors, dirt, big-guy in dirty jeans, deep voice, unshaven, masculine. Trevor. I've never heard of a girl named Trevor. Lucky for Trev, he wasn't born any earlier. (It's almost funny how often he gets called Travis, but at least that's a boy name too.)

I wonder what happened to Chris Rodriguez. Poor kid. He had enough to deal with in life. He was probably even more horrified to discover a girl named Chris. I'd almost bet he's called Christopher now.

8 comments:

Love My Dog said...

Kris -
Don't you remember I ran into him in 1990 or something at a Superbowl party? I have NO idea how the subject came up but my last name was mentioned and he said 'oh I went to kindergarden w/a Kris Motko' - and lo and behold it was Chris Rodriguez. He had graduated from UCSB and had normal friends (I had a giant crush on one of them whose party it was). I never saw him again but at least his mom wasn't at the party with him :)

Romany said...

LOL! You're OK, there aren't any hoity-toity British Trevors.

It's a working class name of the 1960's here! I don't think there'll ever be a Prince Trevor or anything. {g}

I know what you mean anout the girl/boy names. I don't get it. It must deeply affect your psyche. Jamie had problems in the US as there were some girls called Jamie. But here, it's just a Scots nickname for James, so it's OK.{g}

Dorothy

Yvonne said...

Oh Kristine, I think I'll borrow this topic and blog about it later today. I had a very unique name...but teachers and students everywhere, always messed it up. I'll never forget third grade. "Why Von EEE are you present?"
In that single question, my whole year was ruined. The kids would not leave it alone. Thank the Lord for homeschooling. At least I can pronounce my children's names! ~Yvonne

Debbie said...

Kristine, thank you for a wonderful chuckle today! What a great commentary on names.

Love My Dog said...

You know, someone I used to work with was living in Switzerland when his wife had a baby - and the Swiss officials would not let them name their baby Forest (Forrest?) as it was not on the 'approved' name list for boys that the gov't had. Supposedly this was to stop parents from giving kids wildy inappropriate names but still...I worked with a girl named Blue (middle name Jean) and her sister was (REALLY) named Red. And they were twins and it was really weird.

Emily said...

Great post Kristine! After I get finished posting my pregnancy pictures I think I will steal this topic for my blog too!

Cynthia said...

Kristine,
Again, TOO FUNNY! I love your perspective on things. If I ever have time I'll write about all of my nicknames... the current one that seems to be favored by church people I hang out with is Cinderellie (LOL).

Jodi said...

My Trevor gets called Travis with regularity too, LOL. A friend of Trevor's has another friend named Travis and this boy is also our Tristan's friend. His dad said can't you find a friend who doesn't start with TR. LOL

I have a second cousin Chrissy who seems to have gone through a transition like you have. At one point she even put her middle name first and used a hyphen I believe!

Fun post.