Holly and I had tickets for the Ladies Short Program of the Four Continents Figure Skating Championships tonight. I'm not sure where the name comes from, especially since FIVE continents were represented. We also went last year and had a great time. Back then, she was skating twice a week; after tonight, she's again expressed interest in picking it up again.We had wonderful corner seats just a few rows up from the ice. This corner happened to be immediately next to the skaters' ice entrance. There were just two rows of scattered "regular" ticket holders like us. The rest of our corner was a resting/drop in spot for the skaters, their coaches, family and friends. I don't know HOW we got so lucky, but it was a terrific vantage point!
We watched 26 skaters over the course of four hours. It only took me one hour to eat my 6 oz. box of Good n Plenty. (Cynthia, I'm saying this for your benefit, since you think that 3 cookies is "blowing it." I think three cookies is an amazing show of self control, a great topic for another blog post.) Holly practiced taking photos for her photography class this week--over 200 pictures tonight. When we left, the elderly couple behind us commented both on her batteries (we couldn't believe they lasted) and on how much fun she had with her camera. I haven't looked at her pics yet, but they are sure to be better than mine.
A couple of American skaters you might recognize:
Kimmie Meissner

Alissa Czisny
and Emily Hughes
A Canadian took first place tonight, with Emily coming in second.After loading up on junk food, me with my Good n Plenty, Holly with a box of Milk Duds and a Mountain Dew, we needed something a little healthier. Hmm, Wendy's chicken nuggets, the perfect ending to our night! -- Make that MY night. Poor girl, I forget she has a normal stomach and this was not so perfect for her. No wonder she came home feeling a little sick.
If she's gonna hang out with me, she needs to toughen up. But the flip side is that I might have to share my junk food . . .
8 comments:
LOL. You're TOO funny, Kristine. Any other time I wouldn't have thought 3 was too many... it's just that I had purposed to only eat 2 and was irritated that I couldn't force myself to stay within the limit I had set....
Got sidetracked and forgot to say what awesome seats you ended up with! Sounds like a fun evening!
200 pics sounds like something I would do and speaking of batteries, mine lasts a LONG time but I bought an extra one just incase I need it for vacation AND I bought a 2 GIG high speed memory stick incase my 1 GIG isn't enough.... sure beats carrying around a dozen rolls of film like I used to (LOL).
Looks like an interesting evening.
Do you count S and N America as different continents, then? We don't. We do count Antarctica as one though. But I doubt the competition had any entants from there.{g}
Dorothy
Dorothy, I'm having a DUH moment here--NOW I get the FOUR continents. They are counting five altogether, and obviously there are no skaters from Antarctica.
All that sugar must have affected my brain.
This is an interesting question and I wonder if it'd get good discussion on SHS. My sister learned 5 continents in grade school, N. Amer., S. Amer., Eurasia, Africa, Australia. (I use her as reference because I was never taught them!) My kids have learned 7, N. Amer., S. Amer., Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia.
Yes, and I never would have paid for 10 rolls of film OR to have it all developed either!
I love to watching ice skating. What a fun evening you all had.
About the pictures . . all I can say it thank goodness for digital camera's!!!
It sounds like a really fun evening. I love ice skating. Growing up I either wanted to be an ice skater or a gymnast. I love watching those events during the Olympics. :-)
~Lisa
PS: I LOVE reading your blog! You are just so funny!!!!
What a great mother/daughter outing!
I loved good and plenty too. LOL
Post a Comment