Saturday, February 24, 2007

Friday finish

We had friends over for dinner tonight. I really wanted to take a picture of what I'd fixed but forgot until we were done eating. There wasn't a lot left--it was pretty good!

GRILLED FLANK STEAK

1/2 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. oil
4-1/2 T. honey
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. dried rosemary, crumbled
1 t. black pepper
2 lb. flank steak

(Halve the marinade ingredients if the steak is very small.) Mix all marinade ingredients in a ziplock freezer bag; add steak, turning to coat. Seal bag, place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours, turning occasionally if you are home.

Remove the meat from the marinade before cooking. I usually strain it, boil it, and serve it along with the meat. The meat is definitely best cooked on the bbq over med-high heat, but if you can't bbq, then cook under the broiler on high. When done, let rest five minutes before carving. As with any flank steak, slice thinly across the grain.

We've had this rice recipe since we were kids. It's still a favorite.

BAKED RICE

1 c. white rice (uncooked)
4 T. butter or margarine
1 can Campbell's Beef Consomme Soup
1/2 c. white wine or water
1/2 onion, minced (I use a couple of tablespoons of dried minced onion)
1 can sliced mushrooms (can use this liquid instead of water or white wine; I used 8 oz. fresh mushrooms sliced)

Mix all in a casserole dish. Cover and bake at 350 for an hour until all liquid is absorbed. Serves 6; can double if necessary which might increase cooking time.

I also made Caesar salad, just romaine lettuce, Paul Newman's Creamy Caesar dressing, and grated parmesan cheese. My friend Christine brought a yummy apple cinnamony crumble type of dessert.

Like I said, there wasn't a lot left of anything.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Sounds yummy, Kristine and your table looks lovely. I bet you are a wonderful hostess.

We haven't done much entertaining since the kids have come home.

Emily said...

Your table looks lovely! I love it when they eat everything . . I know then that they really enjoyed it!