Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Book Review - Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl

I'm on a reading roll here, and Ruth Reichl's Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise makes it worthwhile! I found this recommendation after finding Julie & Julia so disappointing. While I love reading about food, I don't put much stock in restaurant reviews, I would never go to the restaurants mentioned in the book, and I would certainly never eat 90% of the food Ruth adores. But the writing is FUN, and the story is fun--leaving me hungry for more (haha).

As the new food critic for The New York Times, restaurants are on the lookout for Ruth. She begins creating a variety of disguises and personalities to go with her "costumes." Along the way, she discovers hidden parts of her own personality coming through her characters. It's written in a story format and weaves in her personal life, family and friends. I completely enjoyed her writing style, and while I have no interest in the subjects of her other books, I might pick them up later just because she's a fun storyteller. She's currently the editor of Gourmet Magazine.

Although Ruth is focused on a lot of eating out during this time in her life, she also includes a dozen or so recipes from her own kitchen. Some of these look great, and I'll be giving them a try.

If you have nothing to read, if you like food, this book is recommended.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I LOVE Food!!!!!!!!!!!!