Monday, January 22, 2007

Super Sunday

It was yet another snowy day. Although I'm still grumbling a little about it, I think I've resigned myself to this weather. Brr!

Holly and I went shopping for her at the mall today, although we didn't find much. Robert and Trevor went out somewhere too, and when I came home, Robert had a present waiting for me.


He bought it sort of as a joke, and apparently the price was right. He bought me a new camera a year ago for Christmas, but it always freaks me out to have to put the new software on the computer and DO anything differently. (Rather silly, since they are all HPs.) I have never used the new camera. In November, I told him he should wrap it up and give it to me again, so he took the camera and started using it--not like he takes pictures of anything!

Of course, immediately my camera began acting up, opening and closing when I wouldn't expect, shutting down, etc. It wasn't that big of a deal to me because I didn't want to deal with anything new--but I could still bug Robert about me NOT having a good camera. :)

Holly's Beginning Photography co-op class begins next week. She needs to use a digital camera, and she can't use my camera that's not dependable. Poor kid, how frustrating would that be? So I told her she could use Robert's "new" camera. I'm so generous!

Robert is too, and now I have a new camera also. Thank you, honey!!!!!

He also bought a photo printer. One more thing to freak me out if I have to think about it. He can have that all to himself, though. Oh, wait, I suppose I'll tell Holly that he'll share that with her too. (grin)

While we were at the mall, Robert baked a razzleberry pie.


Okay, YES, he baked it, but it was a frozen Marie Callender's pie. You didn't hear any complaints about that here though!

I fixed the old standby Pork Chops with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup and rice. We had sauteed mushrooms and one of my favorite spinach salad recipes.

SPINACH SALAD

1 bag of spinach, cleaned
5 slices of bacon
3 T. bacon drippings
2 T. currant jelly
2 T. orange juice
2 T. cider vinegar
1/2 c. sliced almonds

Put spinach in serving bowl.

Fry bacon until crisp, remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Reserve 3 T. fat in bacon pan, add jelly, orange juice and vinegar, stirring well. Just before serving, heat to boiling, and then pour over spinach. Toss well, add almonds and crumbled bacon.

* * *

We are ready for a new school week. I'm very happy that we have 92 school days done and 80 left to go. While I plan out a detailed weekly schedule, and I in general plan to complete a year's curriculum within a year, I don't plan out a whole year's worth of scheduling. (Whta purpose would it serve? I'd rather move at the kids' pace, whether it's more quickly or more slowly, it really doesn't matter.) Looking over their subjects, we are more than halfway through everything except history. But that's to be expected, since the book is 42 chapters, and we only do one chapter per week. I could plan a few "crunch" weeks coming up; however, if I do that, then we'll start the school year with a new book, and it's easier to get my first choice of library books if we're on an "off" schedule. This has been a really terrific school year, everything running smoothly, in a good routine. It's good to start the week and keep that in mind!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Kristine, I LOVE spinach salad. It is one of my favorite things to eat! Also, I am impressed that Robert does so much in the kitchen!

Cynthia said...

How FUN that you have a new camera. You're probably all settled into it now. It sure didn't take me long to get my new one up and running when dh bought me one! I LOVE IT! Sounds like a FUN CLASS!