Another school day flew by, we are already back in our routine. Trevor was thrilled that he had three drawing activities today--he illustrated and then labeled each of his spelling words; he drew his own version of The Hanging Gardens of Babylon as he learned more about Nebuchadnezzar and The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World; and his science assignment was to draw a comic strip about the life of a bird.
He had his allergy testing today. Ugh, poor kid. He was nervous to begin with, and the testing was not pleasant. The allergens are on little needles attached to strips, six needles to a strip. Each strip has a handle on it, and the nurse does two at a time, ZIP, ZIP, into his back, until she did all six strips. It took about three seconds. While he was still dazed from that, the itching began. He was a trooper through it all, and I'm glad we don't have to do that again any time soon. His allergies were indicated by itchy welts on his back. He's allergic to several trees, pollen and weeds--things present in the spring, summer and fall. On the plus side, he's not allergic to molds or foods (surprising), and there's no indication of asthma. He's also allergic to cats--we have two. If he were a baby, we might consider getting rid of the cats, but I don't think it's necessary at this point now.
By the time I left the dr.'s office, I was loaded down with two prescriptions, an inhaler in case of emergency, a blower to measure his breathing abilities, several free samples, and a folder full of information. I'm overwhelmed with medical garbage right now. Ugh. Our choices at this point are: 90 allergy shots over the next three years; daily meds; nothing. Right now, the meds are looking good. I think he'll be amazed at what it really feels like to be able to breathe like most people.
This was the perfect excuse to head to Chili's for dinner. It's a long time favorite place (except for Robert), and we haven't been there in awhile!
The next few days are going to be crazy, as we have co-op registration, and I'll also be putting in much volunteer time. But the week's been good so far, and I'm sure it will continue!
4 comments:
Sorry to hear that the allergy testing was icky but glad it's over! My Trevor does meds for his allergies and Colin has shots for his(since his was to a single thing and much more serious), pro's and cons to both. The shots do get further and further apart as time goes by. We only go every 8 weeks now, which is wonderful compared to weekly the first 6 months or so. We left the choice to have shots up to our Trevor, he was 9 close to 10 when he had testing. He chose meds not shots. He can always do them later if he chooses to.
My 11 year old Landon has had bad allergies for the last 3 or 4 years. He usually gets bronchitus a few times a year. We have an inhaler, a breathing machine and the breathing thing that measures their breaths.
Poor, poor Trevor. I've always thought these tests sounded frightening...now I know.
OUCH on the allergy testing.
What fun things did you sign up for with your co-op?
I think I should do a co-op post one of these days!
Post a Comment