Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The day after

It was another terrific day, in so many ways. Honestly. When I can see this outside, it makes even a bad day better, and a good day great. It's much warmer today, even at 11 p.m., it's in the upper 30s and the snow is beginning to melt.

Robert decided that all of our leftovers, along with the things I just didn't make, were perfect to go along with turkey. So we left the kids -- you guessed it -- playing PS2, and we went on a turkey hunt. Doesn't look like they've even moved from yesterday, does it?


Turkey hunting was easier said than done, especially the day after Christmas. We went to four grocery stores before finding any thawed turkeys. (And at least one store was STILL out of bread, blaming last week's blizzard for delaying deliveries.) Although we were just running from place to place, it was a wonderful treat--just Robert and I, out together, enjoying each other's company, without distractions. It makes even the most mundane things fun. (Do you really think I'd have gone to four stores hunting turkey on my own?)

When we came home, I quickly fixed Baked Brie with Kahlua Pecan Sauce. This is a holiday staple at our house.


BAKED BRIE WITH KAHLUA PECAN SAUCE

1 lb. wheel of Brie (mine was 2 lbs., so I just used two quarters of it above)
6 T. brown sugar
1/2 c. kahlua
3/4 c. chopped pecans
assorted crackers
green apple slices

Place the Brie on a microwave safe plate.

In a saucepan over medium heat, mix the brown sugar with the kahlua until dissolved. Add in pecans and remove from heat. Pour kahlua sauce over Brie cheese. Place cheese in microwave 1-2 mins. until soft in the center. Check often; it's easier to continue cooking than have it melt too much into a mess!

Serve with crackers and green apple slices.


I even got into the PS2 act tonight. It didn't take much playing time for one of my wrists to ache horribly, and I don't know how the kids can do it. I really stink at it. The two games I like are both racing games, one with cars and one with dirt bikes/ATVs. I crash continually. Holly always feels bad for me because I'm almost always in last place. But I'm happy if I can just SEE ahead on the track, and seeing my car all scratched up from my horrible driving is rather amusing!


Tomorrow is Wednesday and Robert goes back to work. Life goes back to somewhat normal around here, with the exception of school (since we're off). I still have some reading to catch up on with the kids. I still haven't finished Jotham's Journey (but we know how it ends!), and Trevor and I are trying to race to finish up Sign of the Beaver. The only other thing I plan to do is make plans for the rest of our time off!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Your baked brie looks so good. I also bake brie but I wrap it in crescent rolls and then bake it. I will have to give yours a try next time.

Romany said...

Mind your back sitting like that Kristine! You need your lower back supported you know. {g}

Dorothy, with the sore back.

Linda said...

Yum! That brie does look good. AND I can't wait to hear how you like Dr. Ross's book. I am doing a ton of reading on that topic, too!

Debbie said...

I'm not much for brie, but is sure looks good.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I refuse to learn how to play PS or nintendo. LOL