Dan and Christine shared with us their favorite Christmas song, and I was thrilled to find a copy on the internet. All I can say is YOU GOTTA LISTEN TO THIS! There are no words to describe this rendition of O Holy Night. I don't think I can stop listening. (Some of the page content might be objectionable to some, but it wasn't so bad that Holly couldn't see it.) Mom . . . Dad . . . Lori . . . really, you have to listen.
Holly and Trevor ended up going to bed rather late (for them) last night, which meant they slept in a little longer this morning. So did Robert and I. The kids were up at 7:00, and they had to wait for us to get a few things ready before we would let them come all the way downstairs.
They woke up a little once they started opening presents. Trevor is always glad to smile again for the camera.
Holly's a little more reserved.
You can guess how excited Robert is. I thought I'd bought him the perfect gift that he didn't ask for (along with the one he did). It's a 1,000,000 candlelight flashlight that can be seen up to 3 miles away. It was cheap too, under $20, so I thought he'd like it even more. Like I said . . . excited. (ha)
Aw, too bad no one snapped a picture of me looking excited! Actually, my gifts were very nice and included a number of Calphalon pans and fabulous new perfume. (It's Noa, I think Noa Perle.)
Santa brought the kids a Play Station. I took about a dozen pictures of them playing, but none of them came through on my camera! After the presents were opened, the kids played. An hour later, the kids were still playing. Trevor took a break to talk to Grandpa on the phone.
The kids played in the afternoon.
There was a brief break for dinner. The dinner menu and my review:
Roast Beef Perfection. Was perfect, as usual! Served with a sour cream/horseradish mix alongside.
Manchego Potatoes. Rachael Ray used manchego cheese. I didn't want to pay $5-8 for cheese to put in potatoes. I'd read you could substitute either parmesan or Monterey jack cheese. That seemed like a weird choice, since I find the two so different. We had Muenster Potatoes. Everyone else liked them a lot, but I thought the cheese was just too much.
Asparagus with Gremolata. This is another Rachael Ray recipe. Not a keeper. Robert took one taste (barely) and brave Trevor spit his out. I couldn't eat the asparagus, but I mixed some of the gremolata with my potatoes and liked it!
Sauteed Crimini Mushrooms. Another Rachael Ray recipe, and this was awesome. After adding the red wine, I was dubious, but it quickly evaporated down and thickened into a nice flavoring, not leaving any "wine" taste.
Robert's Famous Cranberry Nut Bread, that I made yesterday.
Pretzel Jello Salad. A traditional holiday dish at our house.
We were so stuffed that we never ate dessert. We'll have pumpkin pie tomorrow, along with the salad I never made for dinner, and the brie cheese with kahlua sauce that I never made for lunch. This is what happens when I eat too many chocolate covered marshmallow santas . . .
After dinner, guess what the kids did?
They finally got off, just in time for Holly and me to watch two episodes of her Brady Bunch Season 2 DVDs that she got today. I'm glad I have someone else to watch Brady Bunch with!
We had a wonderful, relaxing day. I'm looking so forward to Robert's being off tomorrow too.
:)
4 comments:
Looks like a wonderful Christmas was had at your house! The Sponge Bob lego toy which Trevor is holding is one our Colin wants. He wanted all the Sponge Bob ones so we got him the krusty crab for Christmas and he'll probably get the one your son is holiding for his Feb. birthday. Gotta love sponge bob!
Sounds like they were very excited about the playstation! Glad you all had a good day. My Dh was equally "excited" about his gifts as yours (I'm sure they get excited inside it must be a guy thing not to show it!).
BRADY BUNCH DVDS - THAT'S what I NEED to buy for the children. The older boys have bought into HOgan's Heroes in a big way - we now have 5 seasons of it...but BRADY BUNCH is short and sweet and may work for a break from Hogan....the older boys were not thrilled with Gilligan's Island, Little House or Waltons. LOL
It looks to me like you picked a winner in the play station. LOL
Oh had to come back and say I printed your recipe for Rum Cake. I used to LOVE these goey brownies with a rum glaze/sauce over the top at a restaurant in San Antonio - maybe this will work....LOL
Your menu sounded divine and yummy!
Post a Comment