I just finished reading The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam ( and the Crusades) by Robert Spencer. It's impossible to wade through all the PC garbage in the MSM (mainstream media). In an attempt to read something more cohesive (it's impossible to read something unbiased), I read Unveiling Islam a few months ago, and I then found this book by poking around Amazon reviews.
For me, this was somewhat intense reading. I am grateful for the Ancient History that the kids have studied. It allowed me to somewhat follow along with the historical background that played a big part in this book, and I was familiar enough with many of the locations and some of the people referenced.
As I read through the book, my uncertainty in believing what I was reading began to disappear. The author makes point after point, stating over and over again why Islam is not the peaceful religion we are so often encouraged to believe. The book denounces many different myths about the Crusades and compares that time in Islam to the present.
A few quotes of note from the book:
Jesus: "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." Matt. 5:44
Qur'an: "And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter." Qur'an 2:191
John Quincy Adams on "the lineage of Hagar," (i.e., Muhammad): THE ESSENCE OF HIS DOCTRINE WAS VIOLENCE AND LUST: TO EXALT THE BRUTAL OVER THE SPIRITUAL PART OF HUMAN NATURE . . . While the merciless and dissolute dogmas of the false prophet shall furnish motives to human action, there can never be peace upon earth, and good will towards men." (Emphasis original.)
Ibn Warraq, author and outspoken critic of Islam, "There are moderate Muslims, but Islam itself is not moderate."
Great read, great topical study. As much as I would be very interested to learn about this subject more in depth, I have neither the background to be discriminating in what I read nor the time to devote to such a pursuit. This book is definitely recommended.
1 comment:
Heavy reading! Sounds very good though. Thanks for the review!
Post a Comment