Last night, Trevor decided to copy Holly and begin writing his own "D.L." "My D.L." stands for "My Dream Life" and is the title of a book that Holly is writing. She has a close friend who is also writing a book with the same title, and both books are what they imagine their lives to be like as grownups, complete with husbands, kids, horses and of course, each other as best friends. Both girls have written over 50 pages so far, in fact, I believe the friend has written 100.
I'm lucky. Holly is a gifted writer who's never needed much formal instruction in this subject. She's very auditory, and we've read hundreds of books over the years--even a couple thousand. She's always had a great imagination. She literally has over 60 notebooks containing stories she's started to write or story ideas. I cringe every time she buys a new notebook; they take up a lot of space.
So Trevor and Holly were working on their "D.L.s" last night. When I went to wake Holly up this morning, Trevor was still in bed--writing his D.L. They came downstairs and continued writing before school. When Trevor asked if he could write instead of do his independent reading assignment, you can bet I said yes. I moved everything I could off of his schedule so that he would write to his heart's content. So far, he's up to 7 pages. Not bad for an 8yo! Even if he stops tomorrow and doesn't write like this for a couple of years, I'm still thrilled!
I think the holiday season officially began late this afternoon. We ran out to the library, Sam's Club and grocery store. Only the library wasn't a zoo, although I still didn't get great parking. I am getting in lots of computer time tonight. Holly has a friend over, and I'm not interested in watching Shrek or Little House on the Prairie with them. I should be online ordering Christmas card photos, or working on the kids' Christmas lists, or even planning what I'm having for Thanksgiving. I should be getting my own holiday season started here . . . but I am SUCH a procrastinator!
3 comments:
Welcome to the procrastination club!
Diann
Mom! They do NOT take up a lot of space! :)
LOL.... I guess it depends on whose perspective it is whether or not notebooks take up a lot of space (LOL)!
I say you plan your Thanksgiving before you work on Christmas since... Thanksgiving *IS* next week you know!
Post a Comment